I presented these slides at LavaCon 2015. My hope is that people will comment with their experiences and feedback. I’d love to hear of any resources to add, especially if it comes from small businesses.
When you create videos, keep in mind that your media will be watched on many different screens and locations.
Adobe also has some great statistics. This chart shows the impressive growth of hand-held devices to initiate video starts from 2013 to 2014.
- What do you think has contributed to the increase? (People aren’t just watching video from a laptop any more. Smartphones are bigger and clearer, and tablets are cheaper and more available.
- Why do you think Adobe included gaming consoles and OTT (over the top devices, like Apple TV, Roku, Chrome stick)? (It’s also becoming more popular to “cut the cord” to cable and rely solely on internet media for entertainment. It’s not just gamers any more using consoles. Families are too.)
- Do you think laptop and desktop shares have diminished? (Although I don’t have the data to prove it, the trend seems to be that people are using phone, tablet, etc. in addition to laptop viewing not replacing it.)
U.S. Digital Video Benchmark: Adobe Digital Index Q1 2014 page 6 http://www.cmo.com/content/dam/CMO_Other/ADI/Q12014_VideoBenchmark/Q12014_VideoBenchmark.pdf
For further reading:
- The U.S. Digital Video Benchmark (2012 review) – Adobe Digital Index http://youtu.be/f_t3e_BTgCM
- The U.S. Digital Video Benchmark (2014 review) – Adobe Digital Index https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Havj5wIffWs
- Adobe Digital Trends for 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUWCnjYRIbc
- Adobe Digital Trends for 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqmZbLHvhg0